Information, Logistics & Rules
This annual swim has been held since 2012 between Milnerton Lighthouse and Big Bay with support from the local lifeguards.
The extreme distance and cold Atlantic waters have traditionally restricted entry numbers; however, we see many more swimmers training for longer distances and are expecting a record entry for 2019.
A 1-mile event will be held within Big Bay to cater for swimmers not wishing to enter the full distance.
All successful solo skins swimmers will receive accreditation from CLDSA
- 1-Mile – 15 minutes after last swimmer has completed the mile route
- 10.5km – 15 minutes after last swimmer has completed the long route
- Registration takes place at Big Bay Lifesaving Club between 7am and 7.30am
- Your after-swim bag MUST be handed in at registration
- After swim bag will be tagged and stored in the recovery area.
- Please bring a small bag for your feeds and drinks. Remember the lifeguard is on a paddle board so they will require an appropriate bag to secure your drinks especially through the surf break.
- Please mark your drinks bag and individual bottles
- Meet your personal lifeguard between 7.30am and 7.45am. Don’t be late, the lifeguards leave at 7.45am sharp
- Race briefing will take place at 8am at the Big Bay Lifesaving Club
- Transfer to Milnerton at 8.20am
- Please wear minimal clothing to Milnerton to facilitate easy transfer of bags back to Big Bay
- Race to start at 9am or as soon as we are all ready.
- Swim to finish at Big Bay Lifesaving Club
- No 1 swimmer to follow logistics for solo swimmers
- No 1 swimmer to bring all relay team member’s after-swim bags to registration
- Remaining swimmers to meet at boat launch and boat to be waiting at Milnerton backline at 8.45am
All team members to swim the last 500m to the beach.
Entry and Registration:
- Online entries close 23:55pm on 20th May 2019. No late entries accepted
- Event organiser reserves the right to move swim date to either Friday 24th or Saturday 25th May should forecast conditions not be safe on the 26th May.
- Any change in swim date to be communicated to all within 48 hours of new swim date.
- In the event of forecast conditions not allowing a swim on any 3 of the above dates, the swim will be postponed to the 1st June.
- The decision to hold the 1-Mile swim will be made independently of the 10,5km swim.
- Solo skins – must comply with CLDSA rules ( www.cldsa.co.za/rules )
- Solo wetsuit
- Relay skins – all members to comply with CLDSA rules
- Relay wetsuit
- The event organising committee reserves the right to accept or decline entries based on previous swimming history
- Solo entrants minimum age on day of swim – 14y
- Relay entrants minimum age on day of swim – 12y
- All swimmers to have a dedicated support craft (paddle or motorised)
- Support craft to carry following safety equipment:
- Radio or cell phone in water proof pouch
- Swimmer’s race number
- Swimmer’s feeds
- In addition, we recommend a GPS or navigation App on cell phone
- In the event of a swimmer withdrawing from the event, they must be evacuated to a lifesaving support boat and transferred to the Big Bay Lifesaving Club for medical evaluation.
- All swimmers must wear the event swimming cap for the duration of the swim
- Total prize money of R30,000 to be allocated as per following schedule. Final allocation for relay teams and/or 1-Mile event will be calculated according to number of entries in each category.
|Skins||1||R5 000||R5 000|
|2||R2 500||R2 500|
|3||R1 000||R1 000|
|Wetsuit||1||R2 500||R2 500|
|2||R1 250||R1 250|
|R13 000||R13 000|